Friday, October 19, 2007

Rachel's MRI

This past Monday I took Rachel to the hospital for her MRI. When we arrived they took us to a waiting room where a nurse practitioner did a general exam of Rachel and took a history. They put an IV in her hand, which was difficult to say the least. To make her happy they let her choose a toy from the prize box. Rachel chose the pink play doh, of course. Then they took us to where they do the MRI's and they put the sedative in throughg her IV and she immediately went to sleep. She dropped her play doh on the ground and the technician said that she passed the test. When they drop their toys you know they're asleep. :)
I wasn't allowed to stay with her and watch so I went to the cafeteria to get some lunch. Megan was screaming her little head off so I fed her first. She took so long that I had to wolf down my lunch so I could be back by the time they told me. When I got back Rachel was already in the recovery room. They told me that they would wait an hour and a half before they would wake her up so Megan and I sat there. I fed her some more and then they brought another child in and put him next to us. The boy's dad came in so I stopped feeding Megan and she made eyes at the gentleman waiting for his son to wake up. We talked for a while about our children. His son was just diagnosed with Autism. I have a sister, a cousin and a nephew with Autism so we had quite a lot to talk about. His wife came in and they played with Megan while me and the nurse were trying to wake Rachel up. She was so tired she didn't want to wake up. She finally got up when the nurse brought her a popsicle. She kept missing her mouth and dropping it so I had to help her with it. As soon as she finished it we went home. She slept for several more hours and woke up in time to eat dinner. She was still floppy and was having trouble walking. It was so funny to watch her. She was acting as if she was drunk.
Dr. Boyer told me that her MRI was normal and that there was nothing physically wrong with her brain. This is good news but we still don't have any answers as to why she has seizures. There are no more tests to do so she will stay on her medication and when she goes through puberty they will take her off of it and see if she has any more seizures. I wish we knew why this was happening to her but I guess things could be worse.

No comments: