Sunday, January 20, 2008

Merengue frosting? Never heard of it!


This morning my mom called me up and asked me if I had any cake mixes. I hesitantly said yes and questioned why she would ask me that question on a Sunday morning. My grandma, who buys all the cakes for our family's birthdays is out of town this week, the week we celebrate birthdays in this family. Since I have cake mix and time I was elected or asked if I would be willing to make a couple of cakes for my brother and my brother-in-law's birthday.
I had to stay home from church this morning because Bethany and Adrianne are both sick. I made the cake and then when I looked in the cupboard for some powdered sugar I realized that I used the last of it on brownie frosting last Christmas. So, I opened up my betty crocker cookbook hoping to find a frosting recipe that did not call for powdered sugar. There was one. Merengue frosting. What in the world?? Doesn't merengue have to be cooked in the oven? I read the recipe and you do cook it but not in the oven, in a double broiler while you're beating the heck out of it. So I decided to try it and it turned out great. It even tastes decent. I don't think I'll make this a lot but when it's a Sunday and you don't believe in shopping on the blessed day, merengue frosting is a good alternative.

No comments: