Monday, November 23, 2009

Memories of my school days

The schools I went to. My favorite teacher. Classrooms that I can remember.

When I was little I went to preschool at Jordan Jr. High. They had a preschool class there and I remember that I loved it. It was across the street from 900 W. and a busy street, it was. I remember one day my mom told us there was no school but me and Michael wanted to go anyway so we got ourselves dressed and we walked down to 900 W. and waited till it was safe to cross. Luckily for us, a neighbor had seen us standing out on the street and called my mom to tell her where we were. She ran down the street calling out for us just as we were about to try to cross. We got yelled at good for trying something so dangerous.
Then we went to Parkview Elementary when we started grade school. My favorite teachers there were Mrs. Cox, Mrs. Tatty and a substitute teacher, Mr. Linton. Mrs. Cox taught kindergarten and still teaches there. My mom works in the computer lab there and are still good friends. I would have loved to have her be my kids' teacher but we no longer live in the area. Mrs. Tatty taught 5th grade and Mr. Linton taught us in 6th grade for most of the year. He was lawyer who was writing a book about insects. He taught us the importance of the law. We had court every Wednesday where we would sue other for wrong doings durring the week. It was a lot of fun and a valuable lesson.
For Jr. High we went to Glendale middle school. Mr. Porritt is the only teacher I have a good memory of since he is still involved in a small way in our lives. We had him for music and it was in his class I had the opportunity of going to Disneyland. My mom chaperoned on all our trips so they became good friends. Michael still sees him and I last saw him at my Nephew's baptism. I had a lot of really good teachers there. I remember their faces but not their names so much.
In High school I went to East High. I had a lot of good teachers and friends there too. My favorite teacher was Mrs. Applegate. I had her for choir all 4 years. A'Cappella was my favorite class by far. She was an awesome teacher and really brought out the best in me and my friends. I loved Seminary too. Brother Pace was my favorite teacher. He helped me out a lot durring those confusing times. I am really thankful for him being there when I needed someone. One of my best friends was Eric Pabst. I had a huge crush on him and he was someone I could always trust. We went to a few dances together but we never held hands or kissed. We both felt like it wasn't appropriate to show that kind of affection before missions and serious dating. I wanted to kiss him but he made it really easy not to with his bad breath. :) He was a great guy though.
Next I went to Salt Lake Community college after spending a couple of years across the country. I got good grades there but I had a hard time chosing a major and then sticking with it. When I met Mark and agreed to move to Oregon with him I dropped out. Someday I would like to go back to school and finish what I started.

2 comments:

Heather said...

I love that there are great teachers out there. I love your story about you and your brother wanting to go to school. Too cute!

You crack me up, He had bad breath. I think that would be a good reason not to kiss him. I think that not kissing him before his mission is an excellent reason. That is awesome. You are a great person.

Natalie said...

Elizabeth, thanks for your comments on my blog! So fun to see you again. I loved reading this post. Mrs. Applegate was my favorite, too. Look forward to reading more posts. You have a darling family!