Thursday, May 8, 2008

Will I ever get a break??

As you know Rachel has been going through a tough couple of weeks but she is finally all healed up from her tonsilectomy. She had a hard time the last couple of days because the scabs were peeling off but she is finally back to her normal self and has been for a few days. On the very day she had her tonsilectomy I had to take Megan to the dr. because she was irritable and had a rash all over her body. I took her to Kidscare and they told me that she had Cocksaki Virus (hand, foot and mouth virus) and was told that it would be a month before it went away completely. After a couple days Megan seemed happier so we just went about our business taking care of Rachel and meeting the other kids' basic needs.
A week ago Megan got this strange diaper rash. I put cream on it but it didn't seem to be helping a whole heck of a lot so I called the dr.'s office and the nurse told me to put hydrocortisone and A&D ointment on it. So, I did and two days later her rash is flaming red and now has spread to her legs and is covered with little pustules. Am I painting a pretty picture? So, this morning I called the dr.'s office again and set up an appointment for him to see her.
He came in and took one look at her bottom and said, "This is a yeast infection." He then looked in her mouth and discovered that she also has it in her mouth. They call it Thrush when it's in the mouth. Now, he is very confused because babies usually get this when they have been on an antibiotic but she hasn't been. But, at least now I know why my nipples have been itching like crazy. So, he prescribed an ointment for her bottom and an oral medication for her mouth and yes, an ointment for my nipples. It looks like I didn't start weening soon enough because now I have this awful stuff too. At least we will be getting relief soon.
That's not all now. Since Megan woke from her nap she has had a really nasty cough and she is wheezing. I called the dr. again and asked if I could give her some albuterol (They gave me a scrip for her a few months ago when she had bronchialitis really bad). They said I could give it to her but if she was still wheezing in the morning I will have to take her back in to be checked out. Oh, when will it ever end??

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Oh poor kids! And poor Mommy! Hope things get back to normal soon. {{{hugs}}}