Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Our Anniversary Trip

Our Anniversary was on May 26th and I thought it was time now to write about it and put up some pictures. We started out on Friday, the 23rd to our campground in Mesa Falls, ID at the Warm River campground. I drove all day and wasn't even very tired when we got there. I was a little disappointed that there was no cell phone signal there but all one had to do was drive a few minutes up the road if you needed to make a call. It Rained that night after we got the camp set up. We took a little walk along an old railroad and the view was gorgeous! I felt dumb that we didn't take our camera with us. We didn't really intend to go as far as we did but it was gorgeous. We saw a mountain lion's foot prints as well as other creatures so we made sure that we didn't leave any food out to attract the animals.
Like I said, it rained all night but we managed to stay dry. The next morning we got up and headed out to West Yellowstone. I was really excited because I hadn't been there since I was 11 or 12 (the year before the fire) and Mark had never been there at all. As we drove along I saw some familliar sites and of course, we had to stop to see them. We saw hot pots, boiling mud, bacteria. There were signs all over to stay on the walkway. The ground there is so unstable you could take a step off and fall to certain death. The ground would fall apart beneath you. That is enough incentive for me to follow the rules. There was a sort of geyser that shot up while we were standing there. I think Mark took a video of it. (All videos are down below). After we stopped at all these places we went to see Old Faithful. It wasn't as good as I remembered but it was still a sight to see. There was steam everywhere and other geysers going off while we were waiting. Again, it was raining the whole time. It rained all day. It rained the whole trip, actually. There was this little chipmunk that we watched running around almost the whole time we sat there waiting, which was about an hour and a half.
After the geyser went off we drove down and went through the Grand Tetons Natl. Park. There was snow everywhere. We stopped in Jackson Hole for dinner. It was nice to get up and walk around a little. After a while we started back to camp. We went over the pass and there was a car stuck in the embankment. A tow truck was pulling it out as we drove past. It was snowing and the road was very slippery. I had driven the whole trip up to this point and was still driving so I was going very slow. We made it back to camp and just went right to bed. At 2 in the morning Mark woke me up and told me to follow him outside with the flashlight. I thought there was a bear or something but when Mark bent over and started wretching I realized that he was sick and needed help. We spent the rest of the night in the car, yes, it was still raining. In the morning we decided we had had enough sleeping on the ground in the rain so we packed everything up and then headed up to Mesa Falls before heading back home.
The Falls were really beautiful. We got to walk around and get up really close to it and then we headed back. We drove home the long way through Lava Hot Springs and then Bear Lake and through Logan Canyon. We saw a few dozen dear in the road and almost hit some. Mark was driving this time. :) Anyway, it was pretty late when we got to Logan so we spent the night in a motel. Finally, we got a shower and slept in a bed. It was so nice. In the morning we went back home and picked up the kids. I missed them so much, especially the baby. We were so tired though that it was really tempting to take a nap first. We didn't and I was happy to see the kids again. We took some really nice pictures and videos. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did taking them.

No comments: