Saturday, August 23, 2008

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference -Robert Frost

Joseph Lewis Rice
Joseph Lewis Rice 1925 ~ 2008 Joseph Lewis Rice returned to Heavenly Father with honor on Aug. 13, 2008. He was born on May 14, 1925 in Ogden, Utah to Joseph Lewis and Charlotte Stacey Rice. Joe served in the US Army during World War II, held many callings in the LDS Church, and worked for Kennecott Copper from 1952-1979. He married Ann Fyfe May 31, 1951 in Rexburg, Idaho; their marriage was later solemnized in the Salt Lake LDS Temple on May 31, 1955. Ann preceded him in death in 2000. His greatest passions were his grandchildren and great-grandchildren. He is survived by his three married children, Karen (George) Emerson, Joann (Wayne) Sterling, and Richard (Peggy) Rice; brother, Ellis Rice; step brother, Kenneth Davis; 12 grandchildren; 15 great-grandchildren. The family would like to express their deepest appreciation for the services the VA Hospital provided their father. Funeral services will be held 10 a.m. Mon., August 18, 2008 at the Cannon 4th Ward, 1301 S. 1200 W., SLC. Friends and family may call Sunday 6-8 p.m. at Peel Funeral Home, 8525 W. 2700 S., Magna, and Monday 9-9:45 a.m. at the church. Interment: Monday 4 p.m. in Archer, Idaho. Online condolences: www.peelfuneralhome.com

Joseph Lewis Rice is my grandpa. On the morning of his death my uncle called my sister and asked her to let us all know that it was time to say goodbye to my dear gradfather. He had spent over a month in the VA Hospital recovering from a collectomy but suffering from complications due to surgery and his poor health. His death was quick and it was very spiritual. I wasn't prepared for the moment his spirit left his body but I was so glad to be there even though it was incredibly sad. My sister lived with him and took care of him for several years and I had the unique opportunity to have him stay with us on occasion. The kids loved him being there and I relished in the opportunity I had to serve him and spend time with him. His funeral was on Monday, Aug. 18th and he was burried in ID next to my grandmother, who passed on in 2000. My grandfather has always been the adventurous kind and was able to take his family on many adventures, including us grandkids. I thank him for all the wonderful trips we went on for the chance I had to be a part of his life and a recipient of his wisdom. I know he and grandma are together now and having a new adventure together, and that he is happy and in no more pain. One little tidbit I'd like to share is that when my grandpa was born he was a little premature. His father held him for the first and only time a couple days after he was born. His father died in a boiler explosion and never had another chance to see his little boy. If he hadn't come early his father never would have known him in person and I'm sure they are getting to know eachother now. I love you grandpa. I will miss you. Till we meet again.

2 comments:

Heather said...

What a touching post. Sorry for you loss, but what a great reunion on the other side.

Rebecca said...

Very nice post. Sorry I'm getting to it so late. I'm sorry for your loss.