Saturday, June 27, 2009

If You Could Hie to Kolob

My father-in-law started a tradition of writing letters to his children. I'm not exactly sure when he started it. I know it was before Mark and I were married and I have loved every letter I have read. I have always considered him to be as spiritual as any of the apostles and his insights have had a profound effect on my life through the few years I have been a part of his family.
This week his letter focused on the Glory of God and has given me a lot to think about. This letter was very deep, therefore, I had to read it twice. I'm not as quick as I used to be. I have lost a lot of brain cells due to Bert and Ernie and those annoying Wonder Pets. I'm sure many know what I mean.
This letter, though, was inspired. It was exactly what I needed to read. It reminded me that I need to do more than just go to church to strengthen my testimony. I need to read my scriptures every day. I need to start praying regularly instead of just when I think I need to. I need to read good books that glorify God and teach eternal truths and inspire one to think and feel the spirit. In his letter he mentioned a hymn, one that is my favorite but one that I don't think of very often; If You Could Hie to Kolob.
The 3rd verse really captures my attention though the whole song centers on the continuation of all things.

The works of God continue and worlds and lives abound.
Improvement and progression have one eternal round.
There is no end to matter. There is no end to space.
There is no end to spirit. There is no end to race.


There is no end. Two whole verses are devoted to the things there is no end to. This life is not all there is. We all know this but when I think about it, it reminds me that I have to be very careful about the things I do and say. I have to make sure that I make it to the Celestial Kingdom when my mortal life comes to an end. How sad it would be if I stopped progressing, if I couldn't live up to my potential and become a goddess, working along with my husband, continuing to have spirit children and creating worlds and universes.
I know I would not be happy with anything less than everything. His letter was very long and very deep and talked about the Temple as well as many other things. It is just too much to share here. Someday I hope to be in the Glory of God with all my family around me. There is no Heaven without them.
I found a video on YouTube that expresses my love for the Savior and the gospel. It is long but so worth it. I hope that all who read my blog enjoy it.



1 comment:

Heather said...

What a wonderful post! I needed that! I love that hymn! It is one of my favorites! This post has made me think about the things I have been lacking in. You are right we have to do those things so we can be with our families forever and be Celestial beings. Thanks for sharing!