Monday, June 15, 2009

In stitches!

This past Thursday after returning home from dinner my two year old, Megan got her finger shut in a door. This has happened to all of the kids over the years but never has anyone had the tip of their finger cut off.
I was getting ready to take my son to his grandma's house to spend the night with his cousin but we had to stop by the E.R. on the way there. The girls wanted to take a bath, I don't know why they're so obsessed with taking baths but they wanted a bath and didn't want Megan to get in so they slammed the door in her face and got her finger. Samuel was a big help. He held the gauze on Megan's finger all the way to the hospital and then he kept her occupied while we waited 3 hours to see the doctor.
They knew they were going to have to sedate her so they didn't bother looking at her until after 3 hours after she ate dinner since having food in her belly is not a good combination with ketamine and versed. They did take x-rays and thank goodness her finger was not broken but the wait was hard. I can't stand to sit and wait. It really drives me nuts.
When the doctor finally came to look at her he told me that he didn't think he could save her fingernail but that he would try. After she was sedated and had the local anesthetic the doctor cleaned her finger with that brown soap they use in hospitals and while doing that her fingernail fell right off. I didn't realize how far up the bed of your fingernail goes but it goes up quite a ways. He told me that because of the extent of the damage her fingernail probably will not grow back. It makes me a little sad but it won't affect her ability to use that pinky finger and that no one will even notice it (unless she ever wants to paint her nails).
Bethany felt bad about hurting her sister and she told me over and over how sorry she was. I told her that she has to be careful with the younger kids. They look up to the older ones and want to do what they do and sometimes the right thing to do is to be nice and let them in on the fun. I hope a miracle happens and her fingernail grows back but if it doesn't it's ok. She is fine and will be fine. This will heal and she won't even remember how it happened.

4 comments:

Heather said...

Poor little Megan! And I felt bad that Ayla smashed her fingers really good for the first time tonight. I hope the nail grows back too. But if not she still will be beautiful.

MaryBeth said...

Seriously Emerson, you're a lot nicer than I would've been. I would've racked my kid over the coals...I guess it's a good thing I didn't get her ;)

Holly Jo said...

oh wow, that sounds so painful. Waiting in the ER must have not been fun at all.

Elizabeth said...

MB, Mark did spank her and put her on the couch in time out till she fell asleep. I figured she didn't need anymore punishment from me. :)