Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Oh Shoot! (Sam didn't think "oh crap" was appropriate)

Yesterday morning I got a phone call from my husband asking me if anyone from work had called to find out where he was. I said, "no" and then asked him where the heck he was if he wasn't at work. He told me that he had been in a car accident and was waiting for the tow truck to come and get the car and bring it home. I called the woman he is reporting to this week and told her that he was on his way and why he was late.
All morning, as I waited for the tow truck to bring the car home, I was nervous, anxious, mad and just plain irritable. How could he get in a car accident? That kind of stuff only happens to me. And the lady that hit him wasn't even ticketed because Mark insisted that it was no one's fault? Are you kidding me?!
So, the tow truck came and dropped off the car. He charged me $150. and was on his merry way. Seriously, I have never paid more than $60. to have a car towed home. When I got the chance I surveyed the damage. The rear bumper was totally gone. The frame of the trunk is badly dented and the trunk doesn't even shut all the way. It keeps popping up. The front fender is damaged as well because he was pushed into a semi truck and it looks like the fender is about to fall off. On top of all that the car won't even start. Mark assured me that he thought he could fix it but I seriously doubted it.
When he got home he said he wasn't going to file a claim because it would raise our insurrance and he was still pretty sure he could fix it. I got so mad!! I told him that the other lady is going to file a claim and our insurrance will go up anyway if they deem this his fault so he better file a #%&*@ claim! As he inspected the car further he decided that he cannot do the repairs himself and he went inside and filed a claim. Now we are just waiting to hear back from an adjuster as to what to do next. Why does this crap happen to us? Are we not financially "in the toilet" enough??? We cannot afford to buy another piece of crap car but our van is constantly breaking down and we just can't rely soley on it. A friend of mine had a website a while ago where she was asking everyone she knew and didn't know to donate $1. each so they could use the money to buy a new car. It was genius but it didn't do very well. If only I could only find a way to do that and get the word out that there is a poor family with almost 6 kids that could really use a new car. Wouldn't life be great then?

4 comments:

MaryBeth said...

Oh Emerson. What a pain! Life sucks.

KAT said...

What are you talking about? It totally did great! Made $280+ AND someone who saw the site brought us a car, so we took it down. LOL!!!

Did he really tell her it wasn't his fault?? What exactly happened? If it is not his fault, his insurance will not go up, since her insurance has to pay for it.

Heather said...

I am so sorry that happened. Hang in there.

Elizabeth said...

I wonder what you can get for $280 It's nice that someone brought you a car. I'm thinking a couple grand would be nice.