About a month ago the therapist at Bethany's preschool told me that they were going to discharge her at the end of Feb due to her regressing behavioraly. She has been going to a therpeutic pre school which is therapy with a pre school curriculum added to it. She has been getting help there with her ADHD and I have been getting help there as well with counselling. It is required if your child is in their pre school.
Anyway, I knew Bethany was going to be really upset because she LOVES the pre school and loves her teachers/therapists and has so many friends there. So, I called the school district's pre school office and asked if there was any way I could get her into the pre school where my other kids went for the rest of the year. They said they needed to evaluate her before they could give me an answer and if she qualified for special ed services then she could but if not, she would have to wait a whole 6 months before kindergarten starts before she could go to any school at all. The evaluation was last week and they did see some ADHD behaviors but because she is so smart they weren't sure if she qualified. This is where it gets tricky. They are letting her go to the pre school in my neighborhood for two weeks where the teacher, the aide and a therapist are going to evaluate her. At the end of the two week period they will decide if she needs to stay or if they feel she doesn't "need" pre school. My mom said to pray that she gets to stay. It's kind of funny because it would be like praying that there are things wrong with your kid just so they can go to school and socialize but that's what I want, right? But, I don't want things to be wrong with her. I want her to be normal and with it, you know? But I do want her to be able to go to pre school so she isn't so sad. It's a toughie.
So, this afternoon I took her in to drop her off. She thought she was going to her old pre school and I told her, "no, last Friday was your last day. They threw a party for you and said goodbye. That's what a last day is. You don't get to go back. You get to go to the new pre school for two weeks." I didn't want her thinking this was her new pre school from now on when it could be taken away from her in two weeks. I told her, "You are going to make some new friends here and there will be kids from your primary class here." and that made her so happy! When a little girl walked in Bethany ran right up to her and asked her, "Are you my new best friend?" All the parents who were listening to our conversation laughed and thought she was so cute. She is cute, what can I say? The little girl that she was talking to said, "ya" and gave her a big hug. I just thought that was adorable.
When I picked her up she was happy as a clam and told me that she had a great day! That made me happy. I just hope it lasts.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I hope it last too. How cute that she likes school.
I love how she went up to that girl and asked if she was her new best friend. And I love how the girl replied and hugged her. How sweet.
Post a Comment