Friday, May 15, 2009

The worst day ever!

This past wednesday was the worst day ever for our little guy. That morning I was changing his diaper and I noticed a big red spot on his little bum and wondered, "What the heck is that?" I thought it looked like a blood clot or one giant zit. I just couldn't tell so I took him to the dr. When the dr. looked at it he told me that it was an abcess and that I needed to take him to the E.R. so they could lance and drain it and start him on some antibiotics.
After 5 hours in the E.R. the drs. did a lumbar puncture, put in an I.V. and cut his little sore open so it would drain. They gave him ketamine and phentenol for the pain and then a couple hours later they admitted him in the infant unit. I did not know we were going to be staying the night so when they decided to tell me it didn't give me much time to make arrangements for my other kids. Mark didn't have much sick time available so I had to find places for the kids to go before and after school. I'm so lucky my sister is nearby and always willing to help. She took the brunt of the burden onto herself so that we could make this work out.
We spent two nights at the hospital and little John hardly slept a wink but when he did I took advantage of the time because I was starting to get a little loopy myself. The pediatrician told me this morning that he had come yesterday but didn't wake me up because he figured I needed the sleep. I must have been really tired to not notice when he came into the room because I'm usually a very light sleeper.
We are home now, thankfully, and maybe we'll all sleep better tonight. The nurses taught me how to repack his wound since the packing keeps coming out and he's on a couple different antibiotics for the next two weeks. We are just going to have to watch this and hopefully this won't happen again. If it does then the surgeons will have to look at him and possibly do surgery to find out why this is happening. If the problem is related to his intestines they will have to find out where the fistula is, which can be pretty tricky, and tie off the area to keep him from getting any more infections there.
Poor little guy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Elizabeth, I am so sorry to hear that. What an ordeal to go through with your precious little one. I do hope he is alright. This is a time to really use the power of the priesthood. You and your family will be in our prayers. Hang in there!

Heather said...

Wow the poor little guy. I hope everything will be okay from now on and that he won't need surgery. I will keep him in my prayers.